Tuesday, May 25, 2010

343/365

My Final Project

I am a bit disappointed in myself. While the photos were technically good they lacked interest. I am hoping that if I continue to work on it it will become a stronger body of work. The following is the first paragraph of my artist statement, the paper we were required to write explaining our work...



The focus of my final project is mailboxes. It is such a common place object that it is often overlooked. Everyone has one. Some are personalized; statement pieces adorning the front yard of their owners. Others, old and rusty, are purely utilitarian. I chose my subject after two separate conversations with college students who both needed assistance in addressing and placing stamps on envelopes. The way we think of mail today is changing. When someone says they have sent you mail they usually mean email. Where the traditional mailboxes use to be the inbox of choice for conversations and news from friends and family it is now a receptacle for junk mail and bills. The mail that we look forward to comes instantly over the internet. What does this mean for the future of the mailbox? My goal is to document the many different mailboxes that we drive by each day; objects so familiar that despite the owner’s attempts to make theirs unique have become all but invisible.











This is not all of them but you get the idea.




© Michelle Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment