Friday, January 22, 2010

287/365


Tonight Patrick and I watched the Hope for Haiti Now concert/telethon. I clicked the guide button on the remote trying to find another station broadcasting this program hoping they would be showing the names of the performers on the screen. It was amazing how many television stations the show was on. Patrick encouraged me to grab the camera. He said, "There is your picture." He was right. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it; not even a Presidential speech gets this many stations. It is awe inspiring to see people come together to help the victims of this disaster. It is an important and worthwhile thing to do. I wonder though why we didn't come together to help this impoverished nation before the earthquake? Why does it take a natural disaster to open our eyes to the needs others? How many of us, myself included, thought about Haiti and her starving peoples before their homes fell?

© Michelle Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment