Tuesday, February 2, 2010

294/365





There is a website called Digital Photography School that I visit. They have a weekly photo assignment/contest. I try to participate when I can. It forces me to look at things differently and to take pictures with a goal in mind. This week's assignment was Centered Composition. Usually when taking a photo you offset the subject to add interest. We could take a photo of anything as long as the subject was centered. It is dark out when I get off work, last Saturday it snowed all day and Sunday was spent running errands so outdoor shots were out of the question. I always photograph the kids so I wanted to do something different this time. I remembered a seemingly simple assignment from my B&W film photography class (see those here), we made a simple sculpture out of white paper and photographed it on a dark background. It was a project that involved light manipulation and camera angle. I decided to try it again. I spent the last 2 evenings playing with the sculpture and lighting. Above are some of the shots I liked. The last one is the one I submitted to DPS. It is the only one without post production white balance help. The only editing I did to the last photo was a slight cropping and a bump up in the contrast a little to make the background darker.
© Michelle Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment