Sunday, March 29, 2009

74/365

We spent time in the nation's capital as well as in our state capital today. The sun came out this afternoon so we hopped on the metro and went to see the cherry blossoms. Peak bloom isn't for 3 more days but I couldn't tell. It was beautiful. I have lived in Maryland since the 3rd grade and today was the first time I saw the cherry blossoms.






I took a few digital photographs but for most of the day I shot with film. I am still working on landscapes for class.




Kate took this one of me. I am photographing the Washington Monument.

There was something different about this trip.... everyone and I mean everyone had a camera. Many of which were not simple point and shoot cameras. It was actually difficult to get from one place to another without having to stop and wait for someone to take their picture. In class we have been discussing the ways that digital imaging has changed photography and how widespread camera use has become but it is truly amazing when confronted with this phenomenon. At one point during the day Marine flew over (actually 2 of them, the one that held the president landed on the White House lawn, the other just flew away) and within seconds most of the cameras in the crowd were pointed up. What does it mean to the world of photo journalism? A newspaper or magazine can acquire the photos they need from anyone who was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.


Kate also took this one of Patrick and I with the cherry blossoms behind us.



And this one of the cherry trees with the monument in the distance.



Half way around the tidal basin she gave me back the digital. I spent the rest of the afternoon with 2 cameras around my neck. Thankfully there are no pictures of that. The above is a quick shot of Kate at the FDR memorial. In all of the visits we have made to DC this was the first time we had seen the Jefferson and FDR memorials. Definitely worth the walk. I would love to go back and spend more time a the FDR memorial. It was very large with lots of little alcoves and water features.

After a wonderful time in DC we headed to Annapolis for dinner. I left the cameras in the car, big mistake, I missed some really cool shots. Like a colonial reenactor in costume riding a segway. I did grab this shot of the spire on St. Anne's Episcopal Church with the beautiful blue sky behind it on the drive in.



It was a wonderful day. After days and days of gloomy weather I was so thankful for the sunshine, warm temperatures and the opportunity spend the day outside!
© Michelle Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment