Wednesday, April 8, 2009

81/365



Today isn't anyone birthday. I took this photo to tell you a story. When you work with children all day every day you get to hear some of the cutest and funniest things. Sometimes it is when they are playing alone and talking to themselves and other times it happens in conversation. Most of the time they are serious about what they have said and you have to try very very hard not to laugh out loud so that you don't hurt their feelings. Yesterday I had one of those moments with Lilly.

We had gone to Rolly Pollies in the morning for our art class but, Silly 'Chelle had forgotten that Rolly Pollies was on spring break. Hmmm, what else could we do since we are already out and Lilly did not want to go home. She suggested Sweet Pea's and lunch with Patrick. Great plan. Sweet Pea's is our favorite consignment shop. I got some things for Lilly and just before we checked out I spotted the pink crown for Chloe first birthday. Lilly had a white one for her first birthday. She wore a pink party dress with the white crown. I had already found a white dress for Chloe and now she has a pink crown. Lilly did not see the crown when I bought it. When we got home and I unpacked the shopping bag she asked if it was hers. The rest of the coversation went something like this.

Me ~ No Lilly, this is Chloe's for when she turns one. You had a white one when you had your first birthday.

Lilly~ I saw it in the picture.

Me~ I think I know where Mommy put it. Let me put Chloe in her crib for nappy time and we can try to find it.

Lilly~ OK. I will go up first.

I put Chloe down for her nap while Lilly is yelling from her room that she can't find it. In Lilly's room I pull out her keepsake box and start to look through the things in there. We find the crown. I tell her that she is a princess and that she wore it to her first birthday party.

Lilly~ Can I wear it now?

Me~ You can try but it is probably too small.

She puts it on and indeed it is too small.

Lilly~ Please, put it back in the box, 'Chelle, it is too small.

Me ~ OK

Lilly~ I will save it for my babies.

Me~ Your baby dolls?

Lilly~ No my babies when I get big.

Me ~ Oh, thats a good idea, but maybe you should find a husband* first.

Lilly (head cocked thoughtfully to the side)~ Where, on the internet?

This is the part where I try hard not to laugh. The internet!? At two she already knows it is there and that you can find things on it. She already talks about emailing on her blackberry. What will technology hold for her generation? I can still remember not having pagers or cell phones. I can remember not having computers or remote controls. I remember a time before cable when you have to tune your black and white TV with rabbit ears.

*Husband is a new word for Lilly. She just recently learned that Patrick is my husband and the Daddy is Mommy's husband etc.

© Michelle Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment